Reading Assistant (RA)
Scientific Learning’s Reading Assistant is far superior to other computer reading programs. Other programs may record the stories so that you can go back and listen to the child later. But Reading Assistant does so much more than that!
- Not only does it read the story to your child, it listens to your child read to it! The program provides immediate feedback when your child gets stuck, misreads a word, skip a word, or inserts words.
- It helps your child learn new words. Click on the unknown word and the program says the word. There is even a dictionary so your child can further investigate the meaning of new words.
- Its design increases reading comprehension. After your child has listened to the story, and before your child reads it, he or she is asked questions on each page alerting the reader to things to look for in order to understand the story in greater detail. After reading the story, the child will then answer questions about the story to test comprehension.
- More. There is so much more. You really need to watch the video.
- Oh, kids love it!
Partner Fast ForWord with RA for even greater gains!
If the reading problems are more than reading practice can conquer, then Fast ForWord will get to the root of the problem by developing phonological processing, phonemic awareness, and other cognitive abilities that may be weak.
Fast ForWord is a family of 10 online computer programs designed by neuro-scientists. These programs are designed to improve the learning, language, and reading abilities of school-aged children. Fast ForWord is an ideal tool for kids who are struggling in school, including those with learning disabilities, dyslexia, ADD or ADHD, intellectual disabilities, and cognitive deficits.
The programs look like games. What kid doesn’t like computer games?
The Fast ForWord games strengthen Learning MAPS:
- Memory: you can’t learn if you can’t remember
- Attention: you can’t learn if you aren’t paying attention
- Processing speed: you must process language and information fast enough for it to make sense
- Sequencing: things need to be in the right order, not random
Learning MAPS are the foundational skills necessary for school learning.
Learn more at our Fast ForWord page.
Accomplished Learning Centre
At Accomplished Learning Centre we offer Fast ForWord and Reading Assistant in three options:
- In our office in downtown Langley (Open until 8 and on Saturdays)
- In the comfort of your home
- A combination of your home and our office
We do everything we can to keep our prices as low as possible but if you can’t afford the programs, we’ll help you apply for grants. Also, our programs qualify for Autism Funding.
Three Options for Doing Fast ForWord and Reading Assistant
1. Fast ForWord and/or Reading Assistant On-Site:
The student works on Fast ForWord and/or Reading Assistant in the computer lab in our Langley office. For most kids this is the best alternative. It is usually easier for us to keep your child on task in our environment than for you to do it in your home. Here, the kids are available for assessments. Not only are they pre- and post-tested, but additional assessments can be done as needed so that we can fine-tune their programs to their needs.
Incentives are an important part of keeping anyone motivated (you wouldn’t go to work if there wasn’t a paycheque every week or two). Our incentives include:
- A treasure chest full of dollar-store items that kids love to get! These include marbles, cars, whoopie cushions (come on, they’re fun!), jewellery, and other things worth working for.
- A weekly contest. Kids earn entry forms by getting levels, beating high scores, or putting in extra effort (in measurable ways).
- A giant-sized treasure chest with bigger prizes including footballs, board games, stuffed animals, and more. Each week several kids win trips to this chest.
- And more! We have stickers, pencils, tattoos, and many more small items that the children receive for effort, attitude, and accomplishments.
2. Fast ForWord and/or Reading Assistant Off-Site:
Fast ForWord and Reading Assistant are now on-line. Students do the programs at home while our staff monitor daily progress over the internet and provide support by email and telephone. This is most suitable for people who are too far away to ever attend the learning centre in person, or if family schedules make regular attendance difficult.
3. Fast ForWord and/or Reading Assistant On-Site/Off-Site Combination:
This is the most popular method for people in the Lower Mainland outside of Langley or when scheduling is especially difficult. The student does Fast ForWord and/or Reading Assistant at home some of the time and attends sessions at ALC sometimes. Students have access to pre- and post-testing, and additional assessments and resources as needed.
Largest Provider in Canada
As Canada’s largest provider of Fast ForWord and Reading Assistant we can offer a number of options to suit your lifestyle and goals. We are experienced in offering the Fast ForWord family of programs to children and adults, those we see regularly in our computer lab, or those we never meet face-to-face.
Contact Accomplished Learning Centre to book an assessment to determine if Fast ForWord and/or Reading Assistant are the most suitable programs for your child’s specific needs. It will also help determine which of the products are needed and where to begin. Phone 604.539.1386 to speak with a counselor.
Don’t worry if you can’t come in for an assessment. We can do all the preliminary stuff over the phone. Call Lisa or Ross at 604.539-1386 or 1.855.539.1386 to discuss your child’s situation.